Tuesday, October 6, 2009

gluten-free mac and cheese

There are things I miss about the days of gluten. Cupcakes, cookies, and mac and cheese top the list. I am so excited that Betty Crocker came out with a line of gluten-free baking mixes and I can't wait to try the boxes waiting in my pantry.

Last Sunday I was craving comfort food, so I thought I'd try to make gluten-free mac and cheese.



It was fabulous.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Whisk in 1 tablespoon Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all purpose baking mix. Whisk for 1-2 minutes until the flour and butter turn a golden brown. Sprinkle in a pinch of salt, grind in pepper to taste, and add whatever spices sound good to you - I like dried mustard, cayenne, and garlic powder. Add about 3/4 cup milk or half and half (depending on how healthy you're feeling). Whisk together and let the mixture come to a simmer, whisking occasionally. Add shredded cheddar cheese, a handful at a time, until you've added about a cup and a half. Toss in 6 oz cooked Tinkyada elbow macaroni, drained well and rinsed. Serves 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment